TAGS: Meralco, ERC, NASECORE
Manila Electric Co. (Meralco) said its pending rate reset application before the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) will move forward after regulators denied a bid by consumer advocacy group National Association of Electricity Consumers for Reforms Inc. (NASECORE) to stall the proceedings.
Meralco told the Philippine Stock Exchange it received a copy of NASECORE’s motion asking the ERC to resolve several pending matters before continuing hearings on the utility’s rate reset application under ERC Case No. 2026-016 RC.
However, the ERC on May 12 denied NASECORE’s consolidated motion filed on March 5, as well as written interrogatories and related motions submitted through April 22.
The motions sought additional disclosures and clarifications involving Meralco’s regulatory asset base, annual revenue requirement, weighted average cost of capital, capital expenditures, operating expenditures, and maximum average price.
The ERC also declared that all pending incidents connected to the questioned documents had been resolved accordingly.
Meralco said it received the order on May 18 and does not expect any impact on the ongoing rate reset proceedings.
The ruling removes a potential procedural hurdle for Meralco, whose rate reset application is closely watched by investors and consumers because it will help determine the utility’s allowable revenues and future electricity charges.
While NASECORE’s challenge reflected continuing scrutiny over the company’s cost assumptions and pricing framework, the ERC order signals the regulator’s intent to keep the process moving.
The latest development may also ease concerns over possible delays in the regulatory timetable, particularly as power demand rises and consumers remain sensitive to electricity costs.
Prolonged uncertainty in rate reset cases can complicate investment planning for distribution utilities and create questions over the recovery of future infrastructure spending and upgrades.





